The never-ending adventures of a travel writer in Vietnam, Cambodia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Another Evening Without Electricity


As I lay sweating in bed last night I heard the rats running across the ceiling, landing with a thud when they fell off the rafters. Without the benefit of fans (or AC, which I never have) I could hear every little noise, including the sizzle and pop of the mosquitos as they flew too close to the candle flames. I must admit that sound gave me a perverse satisfaction knowing the mosquitos were drawn away from me to their death. I felt a gritty, itching sensation on my back. Was it just sand, or are the bed bugs back? As the candles died down I finished off the bottle of gin. Without the candles, It was the only way I could sleep through the coming onslaught of mosquitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment