The never-ending adventures of a travel writer in Vietnam, Cambodia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vietnam Government Jails Journalists

AP is reporting two journalists in Hanoi were sentenced to up to seven years in prison for "abusing freedom and democracy." The two journalists covered a corruption scandal at the Transportation Ministry in 2005. They are accused of undisclosed innaccuracies in their reporting. It's a scarry reality check for anyone who writes about Vietnam.

Recently I had my own unwelcome experience with the Vietnam government's Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment when I discovered that they plagerizing three of my articles. Unfortunately they did not respond to emails and just hung up on me when I tried to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment