The never-ending adventures of a travel writer in Vietnam, Cambodia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Back in Mui Ne

I'm back in Mui Ne after 3 weeks in Saigon, Phnom Penh & Bangkok. When I bought my ticket back to Mui Ne and realized we were coming upon a long "Liberation Day" and May Day weekend--well, I almost bought a ticket back to Bangkok. While I thoroughly enjoy festival days, I strongly dislike Vietnamese holidays. Living in the now resort capitol of the country, it means hordes of pushy, oblivious Vietnamese tourists driving motorbikes and cars, well, that most of them are not qualifies or capable of driving.

Today is the first day of the long holiday, and there is a constant hum of holiday traffic outside the cafe here in Mui Ne. If you don't have your bus ticket already purchased to and from Mui Ne, you can cancel your trip--there's nothing available till the middle of next week. Likewise--rooms that are normally $10-$15 are now $50-$70 for the weekend.

The non-stop rain this week is however dampening the mood. Fortunately I LIKE rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment