The never-ending adventures of a travel writer in Vietnam, Cambodia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Mui Ne Beach Pollution Crisis

I used to go swimming every day... but now the beach is so dirty I can't stomach the idea of getting in the water. I stopped swimming a few months ago.





So my question is, should photos like this appear on the front of www.MuiNeBeach.net to get people to wake up and do something about the problem before Mui Ne's tourism is destroyed? Or do we keep dumping our garbage, raw sewage and greywater, dead animals, plastic bags and other refuse until the beach itself actually stinks? Your thoughts? In fairness I should say this is more a problem for the easter half than the western half of the beach, but it effects the whole area.

3 comments:

Aikido Roll said...

Hi,
I lived Phan Thiet as a kid many years ago (1987.) I remembered it was very hot there. I used to go to the beach sometimes bared foot. It was so hot that the black stuff from road actually melt and stuck to feet. Though everything was very clean. Saw lots of people doing fishing in a little round big basket. Do people still do that? Miss VN, haven't been back for 20 years. love your blog!

Aikido Roll said...

Hi,
I lived Phan Thiet as a kid (1987.) I remembered it was very hot there. I used to go to the beach sometimes bared foot. It was so hot that the black stuff from road actually melt and stuck to feet. Though everything was very clean. Saw lots of people doing fishing in a little round big basket. Do people still do that? Does the city still smell like fish sauce? There was a joke that people travelled on bus or train can tell they have arrived phan thiet while sleeping by the pungent fish odor.

Miss VN, haven't been back for 20 years. Mui Ne would be the first place I visit when I come back ---best place to have seafood. love your blog!

Adam Bray said...

Yep, they still do fishing like that--though probably not as much as back then. Road still gets that hot too! Thanks for reading this blog!

Post a Comment