Yet another killed by an automobile last night--our friendly street-cart corn seller. Another tourist was killed a week ago. This has been the bloodiest tourist season in Mui Ne ever, and I kinda have to wonder if it's the most foreigners killed in one city in Vietnam since the war. Folks we've had SEVERAL tourists killed or gravely injured almost EVERY WEEK since the season began last fall. Vietnamese are killed several times a week.
1. Please, please, please, do not drive yourself in Mui Ne unless you have a vietnamese license and several years of experience. Not by car and not by motorbike.
2. Please, please, please, stay on the sidewalk. MANY of the tourist deaths have been pedestrians. Stay alert when near the street!
3. As much as I hate to say it, bicycling really isn't safe in Mui Ne. Strongly consider it before you do it, and please do not let your children ride alone.
4. Though I really dislike Mai Linh and have witnessed them do hit-and-run accidents, they are much safer than going by motorbike driver.
5. If you are drinking, please do not walk long distances back to your room. Take a taxi.
6. If you think your driver is driving too fast, SPEAK UP. Make them slow down. Complain to your hotel if they arranged the driver. Refuse to pay if they don't slow down.
Many of the business owners/managers in Mui ne are banding together this week to start a grass roots road safety campaign, whether the local officials like it or not. You may see posters and brochures and other activities. Please help us support the effort.