The never-ending adventures of a travel writer in Vietnam, Cambodia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Iron Age Relics Discovered (2006) NW Binh Thuan Province

I'm going to do something unusual and just reprint this story from 2006 verbatim since the original source no longer exists:

-----------------------------------------------------
Iron Age relics found in central coastal province

Vietnamese archaeologists have recently unearthed several ancient stone and clay artefacts at an excavation site in Da Kai commune, Duc Linh district of central coastal Binh Thuan province. According to the archaeologists, the relics - a clay tomb, a stone musical instrument and mostly remnants of hoes, axes, and chisels - date back to the late Iron Age about 3,000 years ago. Vestiges of the province's rich history have also been uncovered in nearby Ham Thuan Bac district, where part of the Phu Truong kiln's foundation dating back around 570 years was discovered. Both relic sites were jointly excavated in late 2005 by the Viet Nam History Museum and the Binh Thuan Provincial Culture and Information Service.
-----------------------------------------------------

I remember something about this when it was first announced. I believe the instrument was one of the large stone xylophones often associated with the Don Song culture. It is significant because it is the oldest archaeological discovery in Binh Thuan Province that I am aware of, and would pre-date both Cham and Funan cultures. Actually I'm not aware of any other archaeological sites more than 1500 years old in Binh Thuan. If you know of something else, please comment.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Hello Adam.

First a big THX for your Blog and your Website (finally I could find all the festival dates in Bin Thuan).

Here is a link maybe of interest for you:

http://www.binhthuan.gov.vn/home.asp?idnews=238264#G1282750744820

I visited the place but there is nothing to see anymore.

Regards

Daniel

Adam Bray said...

Thank you Daniel and thanks for the link! Fascinating!

As hard as I've tried to get the accurate dates for the festivals, I'd suggest double-checking as we get closer--either checking back with the website or asking friends. Sometimes I find last minute surprises, whether through misunderstandings or that the government has meddled with the schedule. Nghinh Ong looks to be correct beyond doubt though. Despite the ministry of tourism's lack of support, the folks actually performing in the festival have assured me it will be the grandest ever, which is saying a lot since its one of the most impressive festivals I have ever seen anyway. I'm told the main parade starts at 5am though last time I remember it continued till perhaps 2pm. There are other smaller processions on the 30th & 31st but I still can't figure out the schedule for the mini events.

Daniel said...

Hello Adam.

As far as I know, the main procession will be on 1.September and guess what, I managed to get a kind of "backstagepass" :-)
Unfortunately I can not take part in the Tet trung thu festival, which must be great too, for I am busy in Da Nang.

Off topic: I realy appreciate your work protecting the enviroment and wildlife in VN and worldwide.
Have you read this new article yet?: http://vietnamnet.vn/hcm/201008/Truy-quet-cac-nha-hang-ban-thit-thu-rung-o-Da-Lat-931899/

Hope to meet you when I am back from Da Nang in October.

Cheers

Daniel

Adam Bray said...

Thanks Daniel! See you at Nghinh Ong then perhaps?

No I hadn't seen the Dalat story. Pretty horrendous, huh? I applaud the raid and hope it continues, but one wonders why they let it get so bad first, and what will happen to the confiscate items... or maybe I can save us the trouble and answer that question: Often the ones who are assigned to uphold the laws are the very worst violators, and once confiscated, most of this endangered wildlife merely ends up back on the black market--if it doesn't end up on a BBQ first.

Post a Comment