The never-ending adventures of a travel writer in Vietnam, Cambodia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

Friday, November 26, 2010

World Exclusive: Largest & Most Important Archaeological Discovery in Vietnam for a Century

UPDATE: 26 January 2011: Read my CNN story on the Long Wall of Quang Ngai at:

As many of you know, I've been on a research trip for about a month now, traveling across Vietnam to update several guidebooks. I've been fortunate to meet and interview several archaeologists, and Vietnam & Champa history experts along the way. One of the country's top archaeologists and historical scholars recently gave me an interview as well as an exclusive advanced scoop on THE LARGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT ARCHAEOLOGICAL DISCOVERY IN VIETNAM IN A CENTURY. Here I'm just giving a taste--dropping a few hints about what this discovery actually is. I spent the last week locating and surveying it, and despite those many days at the location, I probably managed to see less than 05% of it. Once announced to the world and developed for tourism, this site will change Vietnam's tourism industry forever.


The ruin of this stone fortress is part of the archaeological site, which spans across 2 provinces.


Fortifications at the site are made with a variety of natural materials.


The site involves a diverse set of ethnic groups who still inhabit the area.


My adventure to find the sites involved some danger. Flash flooding washed out bridges.


Heavy rains during the day caused landslides all around me.


 I met fearless natives.


I Made a few other ancient discoveries along the way.


And managed to find a little humor amongst the adventure.

There is a new website for The Long Wall of Quang Ngai.

5 comments:

Snap said...

Adam, what a wonderful find. However, I do worry what it will mean for those tribes inhabiting the area and what impact tourism will have :( I hope all will be mangaged sensibly from the get go!

Adam Bray said...

Well, this is Vietnam... so I doubt it will ever be managed sensibly... However, overall I think it will mean good things for the tribes--for the very reason that they have been so strongly controlled in this particular area up to now because this is a very politically sensitive spot. For tourists to come in, it means authorities will have to loosen up, and thus allow more freedom and liberty for the local residents--minorities and Vietnamese alike.

drifter1dc said...

Is that area out near Khe Sanh?

Adam Bray said...

Nope. Why, do you know of something over there? Theres so much cool stuff in the countryside left to be found...

drifter1dc said...

No that just looked alot like the Khe Sanh area to me.

Post a Comment